Friday, 2 May 2014

No Sew Elsa Cape - Disneys Frozen

The Cold Never bothered me anyway....!


Like households around the country my girls are currently obsessed with Disney's Frozen.

I can't blame them...it is a pretty brilliant film.  Its Disney at its best once again with a score worthy of a West End musical.

Both the girls seem to like Elsa the most and there is a lot of foot stamping that goes on in their play as they spread ice around the world and build their ice palace  (those of you who have seen it will know what I'm talking about, and those of you that don't - well - go watch it!)

Elsa costumes seem to be sold out everywhere and so I decided I'd make the girls an Elsa Cape each.






I found a fantastic no-sew Elsa cape tutorial on www.Makeit-loveit.com and literally followed it to the letter.  They took no more that an hour each and that included time for a cup of tea (I'm so British!).

One of the things it didn't mention was what type of fabric to use.  I wasn't sure if I should use chiffon or organza or what.  In the end I went with some Blue Crystal Organza from CheapFabrics.co.uk at £2.50 per metre and its perfect.



Little Miss L with her Elsa cape (pre decoration!)

I was really hoping to get away with not decorating it so that I didn't need to buy fabric paint but the kids looked at my first attempt and screwed their noses up and said


"Elsa's cape is covered with snowflakes"

Ungrateful monkeys!!

So, a trip to Hobbycraft was then on the cards to go an buy some glitter fabric paint.  I opted for Tulip Soft Glitter fabric paint.

I decorated the capes differently.  On Miss R's I used a snowflake stencil and painted lots of different snowflake patterns onto it whereas on Little Miss L's I printed out a large snowflake template and placed it under the fabric and painted over the shape.







Word of warning....don't leave paper under the material as its drying. It sticks to the fabric!!!


0 comments:

Post a Comment